Completed in 1882, Corny Point lighthouse is made of limestone quarried from a nearby farm. De-manned in 1920, the light continued to shine until 11th December 1942 when a Japanese invasion was feared and it was turned off for several weeks.
It was converted to electricity in 1978. Entries in the lighthouse keeper’s logs describe how it survived earthquakes and other natural phenomenon such as seeing meteors flying past.
There is a gravel road leading to the lighthouse from Corny Point. The road continues south from the lighthouse along the coast, and is a very scenic and pleasant drive via Berry Bay and Point Annie.
Corny Point Lighthouse
South Australia 5575