Hughes Enginehouse

Yorke Peninsula

ATDW pixel
The classic, Cornish Hughes Enginehouse was constructed in 1865. It was named after Walter Watson Hughes, the founder of the Moonta Mining Company.

The building housed a 60 inch (1.52 metre) Cornish beam pumping engine, which operated pumps in Hughes and Taylor's Shafts to allow the mining of the main ore body below natural water levels.

The engine worked continuously, except for maintenance for more than 58 years until closure of the mine in 1923. Hughes Enginehouse is in the Moonta Mines National Heritage Area.

A walking trail provides access to Hughes Enginehouse and environs, and signs interpret the remaining structures.

Hughes Enginehouse is able to be viewed from the parking area.
<p>Disabled access available, contact operator for details.</p>



The Yorke Peninsula is the traditional lands of the Narungga (Nharangga) people, who have lived on, and cared for, this country since the beginning of time. We work, live and travel on Nharannga Banggara [Country], and we take time away from those pursuits to acknowledge and pay our deep respects to the Nharangga Elders of the past and present. 

Today, it is essential that we continue to care for and protect our spectacular natural environment. Tread lightly and leave no trace. Learn more about responsible and respectful travel on Yorke Peninsula.