8. CARAVAN AND HOLIDAY PARKS
This category recognises excellence in caravan or holiday parks that offer cabin and tenting accommodation and enhance the tourism experience in the destination.
Question 1. Tourism Excellence (20 points)
- Demonstrate your eligibility for this category as related to the descriptor above and provide a brief overview on the nature and history of the business. (10)
- What tourism products, experiences and services do you offer visitors? (10)
Part a) Take care to ensure you have entered the right category and that your response aligns to the category descriptor. Failure to demonstrate your eligibility will be reflected in your score. Refer to the ABOUT US section of your website as this may assist with this response. Judges will want to know how and when the business started, who works in the business, where it is located and how it has developed over the years. A map will be helpful to upload.
Part b) The focus of this question is tourism.
Question 2. Business Planning (20 points)
- Provide an overview of the key features of your business plan including goals, strategies and outcomes. (10)
- Describe any innovations that have taken place during the qualifying period to improve your caravan and holiday park business and demonstrate how these innovations enhance your tourism experiences/services. (10)
Part a) Introduce this section with your mission and/or vision statement. A 3-column table would be useful here to display the information. Make sure you use measurable goals and outcomes.
Part b) This is a 2-part question. An innovation can be defined as “The process of introducing new or significantly improved goods or services and/or implementing new or significantly improved processes.” (Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics). Be sure to include the impact the innovation had on your business.
Question 3. Marketing (20 points)
- Who are your target markets? (9)
- Describe the innovative marketing strategies you have implemented to encourage new and/or repeat business and demonstrate the success of these initiatives. (11)
Part a) This question seeks to understand who you have aimed your marketing towards. Consider for example; who they are, where they are from, how old they are, how they purchase travel, what motivates and inspires them and how your product meets their expectations.
Part b) What have you done differently to attract your customers? Consider for example; social media, digital advertising, apps. The response needs to focus on innovative approaches to marketing. Remember to also answer the second part of the question and expand on how these new activities have been successful.
Question 4. Customer Service (20 points)
- Describe how you measure customer satisfaction and identify areas for improvement. (10)
- What processes do you have in place to respond to customer complaints? (10)
Part a) What processes do you have in place to understand how your customer feels about your product/service? For example; feedback forms, monitoring social media, blogs, mystery shoppers etc. Consider providing a case study/example where you have implemented a change based on customer feedback.
Part b) Consider how you receive feedback for example telephone, email or User Generated Content such as blogs and TripAdvisor. Explain how you respond to each of these different communication channels.
Question 5. Sustainability (20 points)
- Demonstrate how your business contributes to the local economy. (10)
- Describe how your business cares for the local environment. (10)
Part: a) Explain how your business financially contributes to the local economy in your region. For example; local purchasing, employing locals etc.
Part b) Explain your commitment to environmental sustainability and detail the activities you conduct in relation to conserving and measuring water, waste management and energy.
Total score: 100 points. Site Inspection further 20 points.