11. NEW TOURISM BUSINESS
This category recognises new tourism businesses that have commenced operations since 1 July 2016 and traded during the qualifying period. This award recognises excellence in the planning and development of new tourism infrastructure and/or services. Tourism businesses that have commenced a new product or opened new infrastructure need to enter another category most applicable to the business.
Question 1. Tourism Excellence (20 points)
- Provide an overview of the new tourism business and demonstrate your eligibility for this category as related to the descriptor above. Explain the rationale and the philosophies behind its development. How did you determine what was required? (10)
- What tourism products, experiences and/or services do you offer? (10)
Part a) Take care to ensure you have entered the right category and that your response aligns to the category descriptor. Failure to demonstrate your eligibility will be reflected in your score. Refer to the ABOUT US section of your website as this may assist with this response. Judges will want to know how and when the business started, who works in the business, where it is located and how it has developed over the years. A map will be helpful to upload.
Part b) The focus of this question is tourism.
Question 2. Business Planning (20 points)
- Summarise your success in the planning and development of your business including an overview of the goals and key features of your business plan and their outcomes. (10)
- Describe the innovative approaches to product development and design you implemented in your new tourism business. How has this innovative design enhanced your tourism experiences/services? (10)
Part a) Explain what you were trying to achieve i.e. your business vision from conception, how you went or plan to go about it, and the desired outcomes. Carefully explained graphs, charts or percentages may help illustrate your answer. Introduce this section with your mission and/or vision statement. A 3-column table would be useful to upload here to display the information. Make sure you use measurable goals and outcomes.
Part b) This is a 2-part question. An innovation can be defined as “The process of introducing new or significantly improved goods or services and/or implementing new or significantly improved processes.” (Source: Australian Bureau of Statistics). Show how you applied innovative thinking to your new business operations. Be sure to include the impact the innovation had on your business.
Question 3. Marketing (20 points)
- Who are your target markets? (9)
- Describe the innovative marketing strategies you have implemented and demonstrate the success of these initiatives. (11)
Part a) This question seeks to understand who you have aimed your marketing towards. Consider for example; who they are, where they are from, how old they are, how they purchase travel, what motivates and inspires them and how your product meets their expectations.
Part b) What have you done differently to attract your customers? Consider for example; social media, digital advertising, apps. The response needs to focus on innovative approaches to marketing. Remember to also answer the second part of the question and expand on how these new activities have been successful.
Question 4. Customer Service (20 points)
- Describe how you measure customer satisfaction and identify areas for improvement. (10)
- What processes do you have in place to respond to customer complaints? (10)
Part a) Did you conduct product testing prior to launching? What processes do you have in place to understand how your customer feels about your new product/service? For example; feedback forms, monitoring social media, blogs, mystery shoppers etc. Consider providing a case study/example where you have implemented a change based on customer feedback.
Part b) Consider how you receive feedback for example telephone, email or User Generated Content such as blogs and TripAdvisor. Explain how you respond to each of these different communication channels.
Question 5. Sustainability (20 points)
- Demonstrate how your business has or intends to contribute to the local economy. (9)
- Describe how your business cares/will care for the local environment. (11)
Part: a) Explain how your business financially contributes to the local economy in your region. For example; local purchasing, employing locals etc. If you are outlining your intention for contribution provide evidence of the plans in place.
b) Explain your commitment to environmental sustainability and detail the activities you conduct in relation to conserving and measuring water, waste management and energy. If you are outlining your intents towards caring for the environment provide evidence of the plans in place.
Total score: 100 points. Site Inspection: 0 points.
There is no site inspection or visitation for this category.